Put yourself at ease by protecting those you love
27 April 2018
A mother’s job is never done. Take it from three women we talked to, whose moms continue be at their side as they transition from being someone’s child to being someone’s mother. The dynamics between mother and daughter become different, but not any less meaningful.
Jenny L*, 50, says that when she was younger, her mom Precy*, would guide her and give her advice. Now, it’s Precy’s turn to receive guidance and advice from Jenny.
Entrepreneur Kat Erro, 39, remembers learning how to do household chores from her mom Mids, and looking up to her as a style icon. They remain close until now, but Mids has taken on a more important role in Kat’s life: an amazing support system.
In her teenage years, Tesa Geronimo, 45-year-old mom of one, admits there were times she resented the rules her mom Becky imposed. Ever since becoming a mom herself, Tesa has realized the value of those rules.
Moms like Tesa, Kat, and Jenny are the lucky ones who continue to benefit from the wisdom and guidance of their mothers to this day. They are motivated to live healthier, longer, and better not only so they can enjoy the fullness of life but also to see their children grow into their own persons. As these moms have realized, the very benefits they gain from having their moms by their side at this stage of their lives are also the reasons they want to be present in the same way for their children now and in the future. Here are some of them:
1. Mothers give children something to aspire for. Kat's and Tesa’s moms devoted their entire lives to taking care of their children. To them, it is the kind of devotion they strive to have for their respective families. Jenny, on the other hand, grew up with a headstrong mom who became an entrepreneur when not many women thought of going into business. With this kind of role model, Jenny became opinionated, aggressive, and competitive.
2. Mothers are an endless source of courage and inspiration. Kat’s mom struggles with dementia, but if anything, this has taught Kat to stay positive. “The great thing about dementia is you just forget and start from scratch. Nothing so bad should make you give up that easily because my mom is still fighting. She’s the bravest person I know,” Kat says.
3. It is a gift to be able to care for aging mothers. Like Kat, Jenny has found herself in the position of caregiver when her parents get sick. Jenny confesses, “It's quite a daunting task. Somehow though, I manage with the help of my sister and my own children. I am blessed to have had such opportunities to care for them as they cared and are still continuing to care for me.”
4. There’s always that one person you can count on. “More than material possessions or financial assistance, you know that you can count on that one person to be there for you in ways big and small, from enlightening you about estate laws to giving you tips on how to deal with carpenters. You gain so much from her wisdom, and you in turn become a wiser person, just by virtue of listening to her,” Jenny relates.
5. It’s never too late to have a new best friend. Tesa finds herself calling home more often and looking forward to weekends where she can have longer chats with her mom. Tesa adds, “In this season of my life, I see my mom as my best friend. We talk about anything! We go to exciting sales together, we share ideas on decorating the house, and exchange opinion on the latest news.”
Tesa and Kat’s kids may still be young, but their hope is to have the same relationship with them when they grow up. That means building healthy habits now and staying physically active. Kat, for one, commits to eating more healthy food and engaging in exercise whenever possible. “Staying healthy is also important to us so we can be a good example to our son,” she says.
For Jenny, reducing stress is key. “I have arrived at a more forgiving work schedule, realizing that I don’t have to work until I am tired. I de-stress by watching movies, playing with my grandchild, taking care of my garden, and keeping house. It’s a good life and I am blessed to have it,” Jenny exclaims.
Who doesn't want to live long enough to experience a meaningful life as a mother? When you avail of a BPI-AIA Wellness Series plan, you are not just making an investment on your family’s protection but you are also rewarded for making healthy choices that extend your life expectancy. Start with Life Ready Plus, a unit-linked life insurance plan that gives you protection plus a resolution to living healthier and better. Powered by AIA Vitality, Life Ready Plus ensures that you look after your wealth—and your health, too! AIA Vitality encourages you to live a healthy lifestyle by letting you know, and improve the state of your health, and eventually reward you for these health improvements through additional insurance coverage and discounts from premiere partner establishments.
Celebrate Mother’s Day with a resolve to live longer and be healthier! Find out how by going to a BPI branch near you or check the BPI AIA Wellness Series.
Invest in both your health and wealth with BPI AIA Wellness Series
Get the power to protect yourself and your family with an affordable life insurance plan. Life Ready Plus is easy on the budget, but offers coverage of up to 30 times your yearly payment to support the financial needs of your loved ones.
The plan gives you fast access to coverage and benefits and can match your long-term financial goals when maintained within an appropriate term.
Critical Care Max will help you make more memories by providing financial aid during the early stages of a critical illness. This unit-linked life and health insurance plan offers assistance on your recovery. You can build a health fund that grows over time, depending on your chosen investment, to pay for other medical costs.
In addition, it comes with a hospital confinement benefit that will replace lost income due to hospitalization. This daily cash benefit may also come with optional benefits like cash payout for surgery-related expenses, allowance for consultation fees, and many others.
Let your loved ones enjoy the fruits of your labor even when you’re no longer around. Build Estate Plus is a unit-linked protection plan that will cover your estate taxes after your passing so that you can ease your family’s burden.
It doubles as an investment savings fund that builds Account Value as you pay. It is also integrated with AIA Vitality that provides additional upfront coverage of 20% to your policy and add-ons.
Be in good hands in times of sickness. Let Critical Care Plus, a unit-linked health and life insurance plan, take care of you with financial aid in case of a major illness, so you can focus on getting better and spending more time with your loved ones.
It even gives you more benefits for having good health through the AIA Vitality program that adds 20% upfront coverage and supplemental benefits on your policy.